Sketches and other fun stuff

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sneak-Peek of how much of a design/craft dork I truly am.



This pattern I drafted up is a Poncho design for a company
 in japan called Hikers Depot, they specialize in ultra-light gear
This is a quick peek at the new poncho design right next to the original  sample
This is a tarp that I am designing for the same Hiker's Depot company 

Some tie downs that are getting sewn down to the tarp

My jimmy-rigged way of testing to see if the sewn application of the tie downs and middle seam truly are waterproof - This theory will be solved on monday when I go back to work and see if any of the water gathered in the fabric has leaked through down into the cup. The sewers said it would be waterproof - but i don't also trust em so I'm testing it out myself.


 2 Liter Pop Bottle Thermos for a client - This prototype was one of the first when I was trying to work out some details, but the final product looks similar to this with a handle. The idea is that contractors, frat-boys, road-trippers , can recycle 2L pop bottles (and soon to be milk jugs as soon as I get to that prototype) to store their water in instead of buying nalgenes. It's a way of recycling/extending the life of old pop-bottles.

This orange cart is used for millitary  purposes,  the designer of the cart wanted a pack that would lay on top of the cart to help move gear around whatever environment the soldiers are in. The back has a dual zipper access, clips to the cart for stability and in addition to the two main handles on either end, there are daisy chains on the sides that offer additional handles for assistant moving the pack while fully loaded.
This has been my other project this week. - This project was really fun for me because I actually got to sketch and design it from scratch - the client just told me what the cart needed to do according to the cart and let me run with it - it was awesome having to figure out my own way of how the pattern and prototype/product would work rather than reverse engineering some one else's product.



You know your a dork when you start freaking out about this kinda hardware.
The two similar ones are V-SRBs - V shaped Side Release Buckles,  a slightly lighter and sexier version of teh good ole' SRBs

the one a the right is something Equinox had never seen before,  the Apex WaveLock. A smaller lighter version of the common Ladder lock but with ridges in the tensioning slot to create a stronger hold on the webbing when there isn't any direct tension being put on the webbing, so these puppies stay in place almost 100% of the time until you purposefully move them.
Pretty awesome right?


Last but not lease, Molly got a new bed! The fabric was some old scraps of my Grandma's and the stuffing is fleece scraps from work. At Equinox we try to keep our fleece scraps out of landfills as much as possible so I grabbed a bag and used it for Molly Baby. This bed has a waterproof lining underneath the corduroy fabric - and a zipper along 1/3 of the bottom so you can take out the bag of scrap fabric and wash the Bed liner when it gets all hairy and smelly from our not-always-so-fresh-and-so-clean-canine-companions.



Hope you enjoyed getting a sneak peak of my recent design life!

No comments:

Post a Comment