Sketches and other fun stuff

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Red River Gorge Torrent

This past weekend was spent at my old stomping grounds: The Red River Gorge. I spent as many weekends as I could the second half of college down in KY climbing. This past weekend my old climbing buddies got a cabin at Torrent. This crag has been closed to the public for some years now due to climbers not being respectful of the private owners rules and wishes, now the crag is only open to those who pay to stay in the cabins. I went last year with this group of climbers from Columbus and loved it! Waking up and looking out your window and having the rock 20 feet from your window- SO great!!
we got the climber's cabin:)



the view from my bed- looking at the warm up climbs for the day
the door to the "climbers cabin"
the gear stash outside



one of my favorite climbs in the red. Name: "pocket pussy" - the guys loved this one and never ran out of jokes for it






warm up for the day
Within the first 15 feet Kentucky rock showed me how angry it was that I had left it for 6 months without a note, phone call, or even a visit. I, somehow, in my attempt to get back in the zone, stupidly grabbed for a draw and got the end of my pinky caught inbetween the bolt and the caribiner on the draw. I blame it on not climbing for so long and feeling a little freaked out for some reason, but I re-learned the lesson to keep your hands away from metal even if your taking a break on your warm up while top roping.


nightly festivities in the cabin

the two boys that came along, sported their Halloween costumes to show us all, we had a ripped spiderman and  a ninja climbing around the cabin all night:)
my friend and i that didn't have too much time to plan, went to Rock House cafe that just opened for breakfast both days. It was delicious. A little more upscale than other places geared towards climbers but still really nice. Along with Miguels pizza shop, you should try this place as well.

"group photo" minus 5 people including the two little boys that came for the weekend



Overall great weekend. I am just as sore from laughing as I am from climbing. I realized just how blessed I am to have such a loving and supportive community of climbers in Columbus. I hope to be able to cilmb with them for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment