Sketches and other fun stuff

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gear Review: Dion Snowshoes

Dion's Snowshoes

As my first post, I'm diving into a gear review, which at times seems to consume so much of my life its scary.   During my morning routine of searching through gear website emails, I found this in backpacker.com's site. It's a review of Dion's Snowshoes. These snowshoes, weighing in at under 3lbs,  are one of the lightest snowshoes available currently on the market. They are a little slimmer than others, ranging from 7-9.5 inches wide. This helps reduce the waddle-walk effect that sometimes can happen when snow-shoeing. Another interesting feature on these shoes, is the Velcro closure system. I was surprised at this at first, and wondered if snow and/or ice buildup on the Velcro straps would effect their performance. Dan Larson at backpacker.com, said he was skeptical at first, but after trying them, was convinced that the Velcro closure would work just as well as other methods commonly used.
If your like me, and aren't the most incredibly knowledgeable or experienced in snowshoes, read more about these shoes on backpacker's review article or check out Dion's other shoes on Dion's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment